Tuesday, May 18, 2010

HunnyBee-Dating

Hey Hunny bee's!

It's been awhile!! Working with teenagers has kept me busy, but I haven't forgotten all about my hunnybee's!

As some of you know, I've been living the single life for a few months now. Dating, as most of my friends had warned me in the past-(CAUTION SIGNS FLASHING), is NOT easy! While I'm still in the "Doing me" stage, I still find myself becoming lonely -(cue the violins). Lately, in my hunt for a man stage, I've been noticing "the other race". I've never really looked into dating outside my race, outside of one middle-school relationship that lasted all of 5 minutes; however, there are a lot of good looking white males out there! Race has never been something that I've paid much attention to, as I have always gone to schools where there has been a mixture of races and cultures, however dating, with the possibility of marrying outside my race, is also something that I've never considered.

In my search for Mr. Right, I've noticed that I'm not the only African American woman looking at the other "white meat". I've been reading a lot about stepping outside the box, and dating outside the race. While some African American women have issues with this topic, I've noticed that dating outside the race is now bigger than ever. Regina King has spoken about it in her recently published essay in Vibe magazine, and even Salt-N-Pepa's own Sandy Denton, has spoken on the topic in her realty show "Let's talk about Pep".

According to the Washington Post in 2008,"...70% of Black women are single, and 42% are unmarried." YES LADIES 70%! Why you ask? In my opinion, I think its partly our fault. Some of us ask for entirely too much, and the other half of the problem, our African American men are entering "the system", retiring from "the system", can't find a job because of "the system", are now in love with another man, or have other issues I choose to not discuss.

With this in mind...

The topic of "Interracial Dating" has even made it onto youtube clips, of random thoughts on the topic, and if it should be accepted or not. In my opinion, love is love, and you're lucky to find it anywhere, but there are a lot of women, and men, out there, who think otherwise....WHAT DO YOU THINK??




No comments:

Post a Comment