Wednesday, December 30, 2009

HunnyBee16...again...

What made High School Fun??

The Class of 2009 Graduation rate for Prince George's County Maryland, has dropped to 87%. According to the Washington Post article titled, "Graduation Rates Reach 13-Year Low in Montgomery County" (23 Sep 09), for PG County, "That is the lowest graduation rate recorded since 1996...". After going through almost an entire week of trainings and orientation, and especially after reading this article, the question I want answered, is what's going on? Why don't this new generation of teenagers feel its necessary to complete high school? While the rates may not be as low as other surrounding districts and counties, this focus group of teenagers, are primarily the students I will work with and try to motivate for the next 4 years plus- hence- I need answers!!!!

I LOVED high school- I loved my teachers for the most part, I loved after school activities, homework wasn't soo bad, field trips- and not to mention just wanting to go to school to flirt with my boyfriend or crush!! Lol- I mean- that was my life at 16- stayin fresh, flirting with guys, hanging out with friends at school and the mall- that summed up all of my teen years! Really HunnyBee's- what else was there to do at 16?

All this to say, how can I motivate my teens to not only want to stay in school, but to succeed in school, grow from high school, and create a life where they realize their education is key to a successful life- and hate to get all "Pro-black" for a second, but its KEY for us African Americans to use education versus just our talents, our looks, and our bodies, to progress as a race!!

No comments:

Post a Comment