Wednesday, December 16, 2009

HunnyBeeMindful!

Hey HunnyBees!

I don't have a lot of time to post today, however I do want your thoughts on this poem by Black Ice called "Imagine". As most of you all know, I'm very passionate about African American history, culture, and advancement. Just this week I accepted a position working in a local highschool to work with "At-Risk" youth. I think this is very important to discuss, and as soon as I have my foot in the door with this new position, I'll definitely start to post more topics about how to reach my teens! My main goals with my teens (wish I haven't met yet, but already know I'll love), is to build confidence/self esteem, build respect and teach them how to act like young ladies and gentlemen, raise GPAs, build on professional skills, create goals, accomplish goals, build paths toward graduating HS and moving towards college, and writing skills for scholarhips, etc.

Please leave your comments!

4 comments:

  1. I like it alot...nice choice!!!
    Nisha

    ReplyDelete
  2. IMAGINE!! I can only imagine what it would be like if we could learn to love ourselves and each other...and learn to work together for the advancement of our people...that's one of the best poems I've ever heard! I can only imagine...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Powerful. Hopefully you can share this piece with your students and encourage them to reflect. Perhaps you can get them to answer a question I've always contemplated: what are some root causes of low self-esteem and what can we do to prevent them or reduce the effects?

    And congratulations on the new job!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really enjoyed the poem. Unfortunately this is everywhere and not just in Philly. i am a big advocate for education for the underprivileged and what I notice especially with working with baltimore inner city kids is that there are a lack of education, training, and programs not only for the kids, but for the parents and the teachers. Everyone is pretty much on their own and people don't realize that issues in the education system reach farther than the classroom.

    ReplyDelete