Sunday, October 25, 2009

HunnybeeHEALTHY

A Cure 4 Zoom- THINK PINK!


Today I came across a note from my mother. It was a birthday card that she signed a few years ago with a note that read, “U, me, buddies”. Even though she’s been gone for almost four years now, it still amazes me how I remember every detail of everything she did. After all the time & space between us, I remember how she crossed her hands when she slept; the way she jumbled her keys when she walked into the house; and the way she threw her head back and laughed at things we would say- I remember all!


For some people, a mother- is just a mother. A person you see and maybe talk to only on holidays, and a person who you complain about when you may not see eye-to-eye with all the time. In my situation, my mother was my best friend. I couldn’t wait to turn 21 and have wine with her and laugh at funny nothings; I couldn’t wait to watch her grow old, and marvel at the way her beauty never changed even while her hair slowly turned to silver. I also couldn’t wait for the day I could call her to tell her to run to the hospital, her grandchild is coming… Most of all I couldn’t wait for the day I could bring her into the home & family I helped to build, sit her down in her favorite rocking chair, and watch her as she rocked my daughter to sleep whispering to her, “U, me, buddies”.


February 7, 2006 marked the day all of those “I can’t waits” came undone. Breast cancer was the cause of death, and while I’m left with more grief than anyone could imagine, I’m also left with a cause for wanting to spread the news about Breast Cancer to African American women!


According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), AIDS is the leading cause for death among African American women. Breast Cancer is the second. Both Susan G. Komen for the Cure and the American Cancer Society state, “White women have a higher rate of developing breast cancer than any other racial or ethnic group. However, among women under age 40, African Americans have a higher incidence of breast cancer than white women. They are more likely to be diagnosed with larger tumors than white women.” In addition, according to Susan G. Komen for the Cure “Racial & Ethnic Differences” pamphlet, “African American women are less likely than white women to survive for five years after being diagnosed with breast cancer. The five year survival rate for African American women is 77 percent, compared to 90 percent for white women.”


With this, I SAY NO MORE! Licensed practitioners advise not to start a yearly routine mammogram screening until age 40. After reading this information, it almost seems as though by the time I turn 40, my risks may have doubled mainly because of my race! While the topic of Health Disparity is one of the many issues our sun-kissed- President Obama must tackle, this issue is something we all need to work on improving! Ladies, please educate yourself on all of the health issues that could come your way if you don’t defend yourself and schedule routine check-ups, mammograms, STD screenings, etc. Men, understand that breast cancer not only effects your counterpart, but also you, as men, especially African American men, are subject to Breast cancer as well!


Below are a few links on places you can follow up with for mammogram testing, as well as information on Breast Cancer, and how it’s affecting everyone. In addition, below are also products you can use that donate money to Breast Cancer research!


Know your worth! Know your body! HunnybeeHEALTHY!




Funding for a Cure:

http://www.pinkribbonshop.com/

http://www.savethetatas.com/

http://www.yoplait.com/slsl/?WT.mc_id=paid_search_300402_636117&WT.srch=1


Education on Cancer:

http://www.cancer.gov/cancertopics/types/breast

http://ww5.komen.org/

http://www.cancer.org/


Locations for Mammograms:

http://www.womenshealth.gov/faq/mammograms.cfm

http://www.ucomparehealthcare.com/mammography/mammogram_dc/

5 comments:

  1. HunnyBeeFree, that was beautiful! I have always admired you for your strength and perserverance. I know your mother would truly be proud of the woman that you have become. She is only gone physically, but she lives on through you and through your memories of her. Great post! Keep 'em coming!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I felt like I was on Oprah for a second--I came for a laugh and you (almost) made me cry ;) Great Post Miss...On another note, there is an event coming up called "Pink Jams," a show that uses music to raise awareness about BC...check it out...http://www.pinkjamsdc.com/

    ReplyDelete
  3. That was a beautiful read and awareness....(wasn't expecting to tear up though) R.I.P. (India)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awh Thanks everyone for your comments! Breast Cancer is definitely something I take very seriously! I just got my first mammagram Friday- All good on my end! Please get the EXAMS!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree this was a great post...but I actually cried ;-). I often feel like health in the Black community is silenced unless you're talking about someone who has or has died from a disease (like diabetes, AIDS, and cancer) Preventative care (a good diet, daily exercise and activity and early screenings) are not things we talk about amongst each other as sistas and brothas.

    My father died from Colon Cancer in 2001 and it is still hard for me today. I sometimes see commercials asking men to begin colon screenings by age 50. My dad was 45. He was also in the military and there is no excuse as to why they did not find it earlier. (but that's another topic)

    Anyway, I really appreciate you opening up about your mom and providing some really good resources for us to use. THANK YOU!!!

    ReplyDelete